Employee Accountability for Time Tracking
Top 3 reasons employees should be accountable for tracking and reviewing their own time.
What Aspects of Time Tracking Should Employees Be Engaged In?
You trust your employees to run your business. Why don’t you enable them to fully manage their time tracking?
Employees should be punching in/out using either their own devices or a company-provided timeclock
Employees should be declaring the appropriate job costing information for all time worked
Employees and supervisors should approve all time worked. This protects both the company and the employee in case of mistakes
3 Reasons You Should have your Employees Manage Their Own Time
More Accurate Time Keeping
So how is this fixed?
Recognizing the problem with self-reported time, employers will often ask a supervisor to record their direct-report’s time on their behalf. What is often less understood is that the supervisors themselves are committing “time rounding” and “time forgiveness” to curry favor with their direct reports.
The only good solution is to require a full biometric and geolocated automated time solution where an employee is accountable to report the in time, out time, breaks, and any job costing information. This removes the ability for the employee or supervisor to commit time theft.
One thing all employers are aware of is that your local, state, and federal governments can cause big problems for your business if you are not in compliance with relevant labor laws. Although the list of regulations seems to grow endlessly, the core of these regulations is ensuring that you are accurately tracking the employee’s start and end times and providing them the opportunity for breaks and other regulatory items.
If an employee tracks their own time, is always provided an easy, fast, and safe way to punch in, out, to break, and transfer between cost centers, there will never be an issue with labor compliance. Additionally, if you require your employees and their supervisors to review and approve all timecards, they are accountable for ensuring accurate time is entered.
Finally, if you use a system that allows for biometric, geolocation, and digital-signature e-signing of timecards, you will have 100% foolproof audit records to backup all the historical time and pay in case of any labor dispute.
Everything these days seems to be “crowd-sourced” and “self-service”. From ordering fast food, car rides, or checking in for a flight, our modern lives require us to be engaged with the tasks to be done. We are all part of getting the “work” done for the activities we are engaged in. The reason companies are doing this is that it saves them a lot of money. Instead of centrally administrating tasks and paying for these tasks to be done, everyone does a small amount of work.
The same should be true for time tracking. When employees punch in, out to breaks, declare their job costing, and approve their timecards this saves on paying central payroll administrators from doing these tasks. Simply put, self-service time administration saves money by dividing up the very heavy administrative time tasks into small, easy task for each employee to be responsible for while also increasing overall accuracy and transparency of your time date- thus eliminating fraud and reducint overall payroll costs.
How much are you loosing to time fraud? Use the calculator below to estimate:
Time Tracking: The Easiest Way to Improve Employee Retention
Let's be honest with one another It's no secret that employee retention is a huge challenge for...
Why Honor-Based Time Entry is Costing You Money and How to Fix It
Let's be honest with one another It's time to face the facts: honor-based time entry is costing...
Did you know that your perception of your employees could be costing you money?
How your goodwill could be causing you to overpay your employees. In very rare cases, an employer...
Should you trust your employees when it comes to time keeping?
As a business leader, how many times have you seen a timecard that has 8am - 5pm with a perfect 1...
Timetracking Built for Your Clients
Time & Attendance Features
- Mobile Offline Punching
- Mobile Offline Facial Recognition
- Mobile Offline GPS Geofencing
- Mobile Offline MicroLocation using Bluetooth Beacons
- Mobile Offline Scheduling
- Mobile Offline Job Costing using optional hierarchy, job, phase, equipment, and position codes. All configurable and data-driven
- Mobile Offline Job Costing transfer between hierarchy, job, phase, equipment, and position codes
- Mobile Employee Self Service, including time-off requests, timecard approval with signature, schedule review, and notifications
- Advanced Scheduling including scheduling planning, master schedules, and posting schedule workflows
- Schedule by position
- Custom Hierarchy Setup
Advanced Punch Permissions
- Multiple Paygroup, Paytype, and pay calendar setup
- Custom Overtime Rules
- Leave tracking, Accruals, and advanced calculations
- Exception-based management of biometrics, GPS tracking, missing punches, scheduling exceptions, and much more!
- Employee self service timecard approval and review
- Advanced Supervisor permissions and assignment
- Supervisor review
- Dashboard including in/out board, approaching overtime, and more!
- Advanced payclass pay rate, bill rate, overtime factors, burden, and profitability calculations
- Industry-first script-based advanced Punch rules for complex shift differentials, union rules, holiday grants, guaranteed minimums, and meal-penalty waivers and grants
- Job Management, including job dashboard, job budget, and actual to budget variance timecard view
- Client management including client notes, contacts, and jobs
- Advanced integrations for import/export, custom reporting and triggers, and data manipulation
- Custom Payroll Export
- Advanced tiered punch question workflow setup with multiple language options
- HR and Payroll integrations with leading providers in the industry or a custom-built solution tailored to your requirements.